Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Altec 417 8H Series 2

  1. #1
    Inactive Member AR288's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi all, I?m new to the board, just registered a few minutes ago. I?m waiting for a Altec 417 8H Series 2 from e-bay, as decribed from the seller, in very good condition and I?m very excited now, how the Altec will sound with my Mesa Boogie MK IV. ( Stock combo speaker at time EVM 12 L 200W Black Shadow Version from Mesa Boogie ) I also have a Thiele cab with the EVM 12 L. I will the Altec also with the Thiele. I hope, I will have luck with this Alnico Speaker, at least I believe it. Didn?t Carlos Santana also use this Altec speaker?

    Regards
    AR288

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Welcome to the forum most guys here are not too much into guitar gear but I know a little about it.

    Yes that is Santana's favorite speaker. Also check out the EV SRO, the old Celestion 25W greenbacks and the 30 watters Jimmy's fav. Late 50s early 60s Jensen also good especially with old fenders. Any of the altecs 10", 12" or 15 are also killer sounding guitar amp speakers. So are the JBL 130 and 131 and newer 12" alnicos not the 123. All these rightfully so are the drivers you most see in recording studio amps.

    This brings back old memories when I use to play in a band and mod all the equipment including Marshall and Fender amps. I ended building all the PA from scratch and doing the sound reinforcement that is how I got into Altec gear.

    Best

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have always thought that the 417-8h Series II were stepped AlNiCo magnets. I did look at the page indicated previously, but failed to see where it specified ceramic. I realize that the 421's in the photo are ceramic, but I am still thinking that the 417 is alnico.

    I am sure somebody here knows for sure...

  4. #4
    Inactive Member squigglefunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    well, I'm no expert on Altecs but I do know a little about the 417-8H series II and mesa boogies. I recently switched over from a EVM 12L in my mark IIB combo to the 417. What I can say from my observations is that the altec is a "smoother" sounding speaker. The high frequencies seem "softer". Sorry I don't really know how to describe it. heheh. In my opinion they are similar sounding speakers, the EV is a bit more crisp, brittle yet defined. The Altec was a perfect change for what I wanted. I got mine on eBay too, pretty much NOS condition out of a 1972 solid state guitar combo amp that looked like it was brand new. $50 bucks for the whole deal.

    here's a pic after taking it out of the old amp and after installation into my boogie.

    forums

    I still use the EVM too, in a sealed 1-12" cab. Together they are huge sounding.

    I hope you like your new Altec! Good luck!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member squigglefunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    P.S.

    I forgot to add: I'm almost 100% sure this is Alnico. I believe all the 417 series are.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member squigglefunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hehehe! Wow! 8 417s!! *DROOL* heheheh!

    No wonder your name is 417 - Alnico!!!

    Well, the space is tight in the back of the boogie as you can see from the pic but fortunately the number on the back of the cone was on the top! heheh. It reads:

    21320-2

    and there is a little circle stamp above it that is like half white and half black (cone) I can take a dig pic when I find my camera.

    hope this info is helpful, the people here helped me when I went looking for this speaker.

    here's the end product (note the silver cap through the grill, me like!)

    rig

    Peace

  7. #7
    Inactive Member squigglefunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know about the speakers too much really. I know I like the way it sounds. I got the brochure of the guitar amp when I won the auction and it was dated 1972 and specifically touted the use of the 417-8H series II. Are you saying mine might be a recone? Either way for $50 bucks I have a nice sounding speaker! I still also really like my EVM 12L. It sounds superb inside the sealed 1-12" cab. Very full yet detailed. The next speaker I'm looking at is a JBL 120 of some sorts forums Do you have any knowledge of these? heheh

    The axe is called an "Agile" a Korean import imposter! I call it my "Less Paul" because it cost a lot less!! heheh. It's made with a solid mahogany body, flame maple top and set -in neck. Quite a nice gigging guitar for around $250!

    The Mark IIB cabinet is made from Imbuya, an African wood. I've heard it called "African Walnut" and it really has an attractive grain to it. forums

  8. #8
    Inactive Member AR288's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi all, I know it?s a little late to reply, but in the last weaks I had less time for my hobbys.
    Nevertheless I want to thank you all for the interesting posts. In the mean time I gotthe mentioned Altec 417 8H Series II from e-bay and in any case it was a very good deal for me.
    The Altec simply sounds " sow good ", no matter whether with my Boogie MK IV or with my second little 30 W Fender like tube amp wiht two EL 84. (It is a old Gyatone GA 30) Honestly, I must say, that for medium loudness, the GA 30 actually sounds better then the Boogie, at least the clean sounds. Very warm, full an crisp tone. Wonderful. But at louder settings, the Boogie comes alive and sounds amazing with the Altec. In comparison to the stock EVM 12 L, which I also like very much, the Altec sound warmer, somehow rounder. The EVM has sharper highs, IMO. A very good tone blend is to use both in combination. Although the Altec is in a very good condition, I?m not sure, if has the original cone or if the speaker was re coned someday. For example, there is now number at the cone and the dust protection cap is not the metal version.
    The serial number of my Altec is 15408.
    Nevertheless, no matter whether it is a recone or not, this speaker is really great. Good to have one forums

    Regards
    Arno

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    El 84 are my favorite guitar tubes great clean and distortion sound. Don't think you can get more than about 22 watts out of them PP. Generally Fender Deluxes always sounded better than boggies to me...may have to do with simplicity of the circuit. But for live sound Boggies rock. Pick up an EV 12" SRO if can find one.....another great tone...blows away the EVM.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member AR288's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2003
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, you are right of course. Two EL 84 can?t produce 30 Watts. I actually wanted to edit my post, but how works this ????
    My Guyatone GA 30 produces around 17 Watt ( Class AB ), not more, but nevertheless it?s really load, especially with the Altec in it now. forums

    Arno

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.